TouchBookMadness

A Touch of Book Madness

Welcome! I'm glad you found us. A Touch of Book Madness is a nutty book blog where anything can happen, but mostly book reviews and bookish related discussions. We are all Mad about books here, and we know you must be too, otherwise you wouldn't have come here. So please, make yourself comfy and share a cup of tea with us.

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentlemen Bastard, #1)
Scott Lynch, Michael Page
Progress: 253/1323 minutes

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin

This book was really promising, and I had the highest of expectations. Alas, they were not met.

I am actually disappointed that I didn’t love this book, but other than the creep factor, which was very well done, it was hard for me to connect with the characters and the story was a tad confusing.

This book has more of a contemporary feel with some added paranormal elements, than a paranormal thriller. It’s the story of a girl who survived an awful accident and is now trying to put her life back together. She worries about school, grades, college resumes and boys, but her life is more complicated than any normal girl because of the paranormal sightings she’s having. She can see her dead friends everywhere, and can also see a person’s death before it happens. Sounds really cool, huh?

I would love if the story would’ve simply focused on the horrible things that were happening to Mara and trying to decipher what was going on. I loved that part, and the visions and trying to remember. Very well done! But there were some crazy subplots that deviated the attention to not so important things happening. Like Noah Shaw.

The only thing I like about that boy is his amazing library. He is a presumptuous jerk who thinks he is the biggest thing ever. I couldn’t get pass the fact he was the ultimate playboy and never really offered a reasonable explanation for his behaviour, so it was hard for me to understand why Mara liked him. He was supposedly charming, but I just couldn’t trust this guy.

There is also a confusing subplot involving a kidnapper, which didn’t bother me much but was somewhat confusing. It’s supposed to be there to give us some information, but that subplot was never tied up. Maybe we get to learn a bit more about it in the next books.

I did appreciate that Mara’s family was so close and caring. They showed the true signs of a committed and supporting family. I loved that her mum was so worried (she certainly had reasons to), and that her brothers were so sympathizing with her cause.

Overall, the main plot of this story was very good, and it definitely got me engaged with the story enough that I want to keep on reading this series. But the different subplots that surround the main plot were confusing and distracting, which lessened my enjoyment of this book.