TouchBookMadness

A Touch of Book Madness

Welcome! I'm glad you found us. A Touch of Book Madness is a nutty book blog where anything can happen, but mostly book reviews and bookish related discussions. We are all Mad about books here, and we know you must be too, otherwise you wouldn't have come here. So please, make yourself comfy and share a cup of tea with us.

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentlemen Bastard, #1)
Scott Lynch, Michael Page
Progress: 253/1323 minutes

The Shinning by Stephen King

The Shining - Stephen King

I finally read this book. It is sooo good! It has so many eerie moments that gave me goosebumps. I can only find time to read before bed, so you can imagine how those nights were for me. I had the feeling that someone was watching!

The characters are impossible not to love. Danny is sweet, and very kept to himself. He understands way too much for such a young kid, and you can't help but feel sorry for him and this gift he has, which in that Hotel is a curse. He was so well crafted with this mix of maturity and innocence. He is perfect!

Jack Torrance is a troubled man who is trying to put his life back together. But he is sincere in his efforts and loves his family, especially Danny. You can tell he is doing his best. He had so many quirks it brought him alive, and you can see how he slowly begins to give in to The Overlook (the Hotel). It is a very subtle process. His character development is the strongest. I think Mr. King created this character brilliantly!

I felt so much empathy for Wendy she is also a rather distressed woman, who is trying to do what's best for her family. She is sweet, and attentive, and her biggest concern is her child. She does have an opinion of her own regarding what is best for Danny. She is a very present mother. I loved that she believed in Danny's abilities since the beginning, and that she wasn't scared of confronting her husband. She isn't the strongest woman, I'll give you that, but considering all she's been through, she came out as such a flawed and real woman. I loved her.

Finally, the Overlook is a character of its own. You cannot tell at first, but as things start to happen, you sort of guess it. It has a mind of its own, and a personal agenda, which is in fact the scariest thing about the book.

Overall, the book is one of the best I've read ever! Seriously Mr. King you lived up to your name.

Source: http://touchofbookmadness.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-shinning-edition.html