TouchBookMadness

A Touch of Book Madness

Welcome! I'm glad you found us. A Touch of Book Madness is a nutty book blog where anything can happen, but mostly book reviews and bookish related discussions. We are all Mad about books here, and we know you must be too, otherwise you wouldn't have come here. So please, make yourself comfy and share a cup of tea with us.

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentlemen Bastard, #1)
Scott Lynch, Michael Page
Progress: 253/1323 minutes

Miyuki by Veronica Bane

Miyuki - Veronica Bane

I have to say I enjoyed every minute of this book. Action-wise it was best than the first one, but in character development I felt it was a bit short, because we were left almost in the same place as we were in book one.

As it is a novella, the plot is very fast paced, which is good when it comes to getting into the book, but not so helpful at times because I’m always left wanting more and with tons of unanswered questions. I think maybe a longer book will allow the plot to develop with more detail; especially when it comes to character’s backgrounds.

Nevertheless, this book brings a lot of unexpected turns and twists, the plot certainly thickens, but new questions arise, when few of the old ones are answered; and it ends with a horrible cliffhanger! I mean, you shouldn’t be allowed to do that, that’s pure and utter torture. I need to know now!

I did love the more aggressive turn the plot took. It was very crude at times, but so is the Hunger Games, and that doesn’t take anything away from a great book. It did remind me of said book in certain aspects, but I won’t tell how, because I don’t want to spoil anything.

I already stated that character development was a bit poor, because we barely learned anything new about them. It still baffles me why the books are called after characters if they are all written in various points of view, and aren’t especially centred on any of them. Maybe slightly on Mara.

I did like to see Mara and Miyuki’s relationship grow, and how the group was acting more responsible regarding their current predicament. It was great to see them standing up for their principles and being brave and mature about their acts.

New characters were introduced, but I still want some more about them.

I very much appreciate the different points of view, because it allows us to understand the whole picture. We always know what is happening with the group when they are not together, and it also allows us a better insight at Mara and Miyuki’s relationship.

The book is intriguing, engrossing and filled with tension. I felt like the author took a lot of risks with this plot, and I’m glad to say that they worked for me. I’m glad about the direction the story is taking, even though I have some conflicts with the whole idea that Unusuals are monsters. It portrays truthfully how we, as human beings, are scared of the unknown and have a tendency to its destruction.

*Note: I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review, but my opinion was not biased in any way by this fact.

Source: http://touchofbookmadness.blogspot.com/2014/04/review-miyuki-by-veronica-bane.html