TouchBookMadness

A Touch of Book Madness

Welcome! I'm glad you found us. A Touch of Book Madness is a nutty book blog where anything can happen, but mostly book reviews and bookish related discussions. We are all Mad about books here, and we know you must be too, otherwise you wouldn't have come here. So please, make yourself comfy and share a cup of tea with us.

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentlemen Bastard, #1)
Scott Lynch, Michael Page
Progress: 253/1323 minutes

Finding Me by Dawn Brazil

Finding Me - Dawn Brazil

It’s hard for me to explain my feelings regarding this book. I really liked the plot. I think it is well structured, well paced, conceptually sound and engaging. It truly sucked me into the story and I wished I had been warned that this was a series, because I definitely want to know what happens next.

I felt the story was quite original, and was engrossed by it from the start. It made me nervous and thrilled and scared and happy.

My Favourite part was the parallel universe idea, and I don’t want to say anymore, because I don’t want to spoil anything, but the fact that the main characters have had second chances to achieve their mission, was pretty cool.

But I have to admit, I was annoyed by the name the author chose for one of the universes, as opposed to Earth. Why Tierra? In Spanish it means exactly Earth. It’s actually the same word in a different language. So if I speak Spanish and call Earth “Tierra” I live in a parallel universe? It really bugged me.

I also liked that the “Great Eight” were all paired, though I thought the romance was taken a bit to the extreme. Too intense. All clean though, just a heads up.

The plot certainly had some interesting twists and turns, and most of them came to me as really unexpected, and I just love to not be able to predict the story. So yeah, the story, guys, is great.

My main problem though, were the characters. I didn’t feel for them. I couldn’t actually connect, and for more than half of the book I was actually annoyed with Chloe. I didn’t like this scare self pitying girl, and what’s with all the lip and mouth biting? It was driving me crazy. I liked it when she finally stepped up though, but it took her way too long.

I don’t feel like I got to know any of the other characters, but they gave me the sensation that they were a bit forced.

So overall, the storyline was actually pretty good. I don’t know where the author plans to go from here, but I certainly want to know. I got the feeling that this story was just about to get better, but I did have a problem with the characters who came off as a bit blunt. I really wanted to get to know more about the Great Eight, some of them were hardly mentioned.

*Note: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review, but my opinion was not biased in any way by this fact.

Source: http://touchofbookmadness.blogspot.com/2014/05/review-finding-me-by-dawn-brazil.html