TouchBookMadness

A Touch of Book Madness

Welcome! I'm glad you found us. A Touch of Book Madness is a nutty book blog where anything can happen, but mostly book reviews and bookish related discussions. We are all Mad about books here, and we know you must be too, otherwise you wouldn't have come here. So please, make yourself comfy and share a cup of tea with us.

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentlemen Bastard, #1)
Scott Lynch, Michael Page
Progress: 253/1323 minutes

The Secret Side of Empty by Maria E. Andreu

The Secret Side of Empty - Maria E. Andreu

I had such huge expectations for this book, really looking forward to it, and I must say it didn’t disappoint. It dealt with more issues than I was expecting, but it only enriched the book. You could think that dealing with such strong subjects as domestic violence, illegal immigration and suicide all in one book could be too much, but Maria made them all work in a harmonious way. This book was emotionally loaded but just utterly beautiful. The plot simply flowed smoothly and sucked you right into it.

The storyline is very original, and I simply loved that the story was told from the point of view of a girl who had no fault in being dragged toward illegality, and for showing a different face of Latinos, I think it maybe helps to clear some prejudice.

Regarding the characters, I’ll be honest and say that I had a hard time with M.T. There were times I completely disliked her, and struggled a lot with her attitude. It wasn’t until the end that she grew on me. I get that she had to face a lot of really serious stuff in her short young life, and that she had every reason to feel angry, empty, unwanted and a stranger in both her worlds, but it really bugged me that she rejected such a big part of who she was.

I know that the United States was the only place she could call home, that she was raised and grew up there, and that she hadn’t been anywhere else; but the place you are born and where you live are just a part of who you are and will become. Another huge part are your roots. Where you come from, where your parents come from. It all influences your education and way of life and you can’t just disown that. That’s the beauty of our complexity, and I hated to see M.T. denied so fervently her Argentinean roots. She didn’t want to even know anything about that place, and being Chilean (we are Argentina’s neighbour country) I can attest to the fact they have some pretty great stuff going on for them.

Anyway, in the end, I felt she kind of accepted herself and after everything she went through, I made my peace with her.

Her mum I loved! I know she made some poor decisions, and she is to blame in part for what M.T. had to endure. She should’ve been stronger. But she was very loving, attentive and she really wanted the best for her kids, even if she didn’t know how to give it to them. I wished M.T. could’ve let her love her more; and I’m not even going to dignify her dad with a comment on his atrocity as a human being. Although I sort of understand where his hate comes from, but I do not condone his way of handling it.

I don’t want to make this much longer so I would like to honour Mr. A and his wisdom, and Chelsea, M.T.’s best friend, and her loyalty.

Finally, I would like to add that the writing is delightful and this story is so powerful it’ll leave you emotionally charged and lost in deep thought.

*Note: I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review, but my opinion was not biased in any way by this fact.

Source: http://touchofbookmadness.blogspot.com/2014/06/review-secret-side-of-empty-by-maria-e.html