TouchBookMadness

A Touch of Book Madness

Welcome! I'm glad you found us. A Touch of Book Madness is a nutty book blog where anything can happen, but mostly book reviews and bookish related discussions. We are all Mad about books here, and we know you must be too, otherwise you wouldn't have come here. So please, make yourself comfy and share a cup of tea with us.

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentlemen Bastard, #1)
Scott Lynch, Michael Page
Progress: 253/1323 minutes

Unexpectedly You

Unexpectedly You - Riley Janes, Mia Josephs

I definitely enjoyed the book. It was funny, light, and quirky, and quite a perfect choice for a travelling book. That’s right. I read this book while I was abroad in Peru. I didn’t have much time to read, only when we had to catch a train or a bus. So, what made this book perfect for it was its fast pace, easy to follow plot and lightness of the story. You don’t want to get too invested with a book, or bring up too much drama while on vacation do you? Unless you are spending some time on a lake or beach where you can chill and relax all the time. But in this case we were constantly on the move, so I needed a book that was good enough it would be easy to get back to whenever I could, but also not too absorbing I wouldn’t want to go sightseeing anymore.

This book got me hooked from chapter one which was Brooke’s most embarrassing moment throughout the book, in my opinion. Great start I might add, because it allows the reader to get the vibe of the book right away. It gives an excellent introduction to the characters as well, because we learn straight ahead that Brook is an absolute control freak obsessed with perfection and Nate, well…he’s a mess.

I have to admit that my favourite part of the whole book was its characters, especially Brooke. She is definitely unique and I haven’t ever met or read about anyone like her. Her quirks were so obvious and she didn’t even care about it. She knew her real self and wasn’t afraid to show it to the world. She also wasn’t willing to change for anyone. Great role model actually. But what is great is that we can also tell she has her own personal issues which mess her up a bit, so yeah, very honest and distinctive character. For me she was the sole responsible for making this story quite memorable.

The plot was definitely predictable, starting from the title which ironically starts with the word unexpected. I guess that explains why my rating was 4 and not 5 stars. Anyway, that doesn’t mean that you won’t enjoy reading about how the predictable ending comes to be, because the story is filled with funny and not so predictable moments.

But the best thing about this book is that it portrays beautifully that even quirky and obsessive people get their chance at love; and in the end you are rooting for it so bad! The love story is pretty cool, too. It’s not insta-love or anything. You can actually witness the whole process from hate, to scepticism, to comfort, to friendship and then love; and as everything in this story, very truthful.

It even has some powerful messages hidden between all the fluff and peculiarities. Like you don’t need to seek others approval, the most important one in your life should be your own and you can always get a second chance in love.

In sum, this book offers a perfect fun and quick escape from your everyday chores, and will provide for an entertaining read. If you are looking for a fresh twist to a timeless love story, this is for you.

*Note: I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review, but my opinion was not biased in any way by this fact.

Source: http://touchofbookmadness.blogspot.com/2014/08/review-unexpectedly-you-by-mia-josephs.html